Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's the password?

I’ve been a journal writer for almost thirty years. I received my first diary when I was nine years old and immediately found refuge in the small, blue lined pages where I would share all my childhood thoughts. The moments documented became more intense during my teenage years, while my adulthood covers a wide array of emotions from depression and confusion, desire and fantasy, to love and faith. It’s those pages that carry the deepest parts of me and guess what? They’re for my eyes only. To invade such privacies is, for me, the ultimate theft and betrayal. It’s not that my journal contains such secrets that cannot see the light of day (I have no buried remains in the yard ;-)); it’s just that those words are written in my own rhythm and vibe and are the realest, truest me.
In comes Brandy. I’m so grateful that Brandy is also a journal writer and that we share the exact same sentiments. I can write in my journal and she in hers without the other peeking over the shoulder, or silently paranoid about the thoughts and feelings being conveyed onto paper. Occasionally we’ve shared bits and pieces from our journals. Brandy laughs because I’m good for skipping sentences here and there and she takes no offense to it; I love her! Recently, I pulled out a journal from 2002 and shared a piece about the night we brought in my 30th birthday. I had commented on the way her skirt hiked up while we were eating our “after the club” meal and I quote, “That girl has got some pretty legs.” In this sense it’s been kind of fun to go back and reveal some of the quietly kept thoughts we had about one another back then (and seriously, we really were just friends…ahh, I seem to be getting off track hereJ). Point is, we respect the other’s privacy without question, not only with our journals, but in other aspects as well.
These days there seems to be plenty of gray areas of what falls under what privacy guidelines.  Let’s see, there are e-mail and social networking login and passwords, voice mail passwords, and we cannot forget text messages.  Oh, how the world of texting has created an uproar and discord in relationships. For some, their partner’s unattended cell phone is as enticing as a martini during rehab; you know you shouldn’t, but it’s calling you.
When it comes to contemplating whether or not to invade another’s privacy, I’d think one would question inward versus outward.  What is it within YOU that ignites the curiosity, not what SOMEONE ELSE is doing that prompts the curiosity. I’m sure that statement is left to debate. Many would say that of course privacy invasions are solicited and dependent upon what another may be doing. My argument would be that’s just a blame game for justifying a wrongful action. I’d think a person should ask herself what it is she’s looking for, why she’s looking, and what happens with what she does or does not find. There has to be some obvious (or deep-set) insecurities and trust issues. It’s those issues that manifest into actions like uninvited checking into a partner’s personal space. I guess that opens the door to another question up for debate: what is considered personal space? Are e-mails, texts, and online activities private when in a committed relationship? My answer is yes.
Once upon a time my email accounts were unprotected. Now they’re not. That has nothing to do with Brandy; she’s privy to every password I have if she asked.  Thing is, she doesn’t ask nor does she pry into what we both agree is my space and I don’t pry into hers. The truth is we have shared certain passwords with one another. There have been times when I needed immediate information from Facebook and didn’t have access to get it myself. Because I trust Brandy, I have no qualms with giving her my password because I know she won’t misuse and abuse it. To me, there’s a humongous difference between sharing a password out of necessity, versus sharing it out of pressure or to appease another’s insecurities.
For me and Brandy, we’ve agreed that what’s hers is hers and what’s mine is mine. But not because we have individual secrets we’re keeping, but because we respect and trust the other. This is what works for us. So do share…what are the privacy parameters within your relationship?
©Nikki Rashan, January 2011

7 comments:

  1. I use to write in journals consistantly until not one but two girlfriends invaded my privacy and read them and confronted me. I have often over the years try to maintain journal writing but end up just ripping up the pages after some time. To me journal writing is things you are thinking but dont care to share to them with anyone but the lines in that book...the book doesnt judge you. My new gf is a journal writer she has a gazillion of them...I would NEVER think of looking at them..those are her private moments and until she decides she wants to share them...they are hers....Journal writing is a place you can go and share things that you dont want to share with anyone else. If you feel the need to invade your lovers privacy, it truly believe its because you are guilty of your own shit. I want the option to share, not have it taken away from me. So I agree...whats yours is yours and whats mine is mine as far as this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its interesting that my current boyfriend has no qualms if I wanted to go thru his wallet, phone, email, etc (which by the way, I have no desire to do). The fact that he doesn't try to hide things make me uninterested in looking. Why go looking for trouble? I have no reason not to trust him.

    Likewise, I'll sometimes ask him to grab something out of my purse for me and he brings me my purse and prefers I get it instead. Again, I have no problem with him going thru my purse looking for whatever it is I need but we both just naturally respect each others' space.

    On the other hand, my ex-husband loved to dig thru my things and accuse me of a variety of wrongdoings based on what he thought he uncovered. . .one of the many reasons he is my "ex" husband!

    Knowing that if I really wanted to, I COULD peek at any time takes away any desire to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to write in a journal and some of it's writings were the darkest period in my life. I made the mistake of letting my Babe read some passages of it and have watch her try to make "jokes" and sarcastic reports about the passages when we've had disagreements. It finally took me to go slap "off" on her for her to realize the severity of her actions. Though I share an enormous amount of secrets and passwords with her, I find myself still very guarded about my thoughts. Experience has shown me to NOT share everything if you don't want to be judge on your failures, mistakes, and your past. I can say I respect her space and time for herself. She's learning that I need the same. It has taken me a minute to get her to this point, but I'm so grateful that she's willing to be understanding to what it's needed and willing to comply. I still have my "secrets", innocent they are, but I know if she ask, I'll tell her. No longer will I volunteer the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the word private almost implies privacy.
    I have no need to ask her for her password to her email, or FB or anything else because no information in there is directed to me. All of it is directed to her and rightly so. I'd much rather spend my time reading my own email which has been sent to me. For the record we do have a a joint email and there you will find email for both of us.

    Its not about being secretive but respecting personal space and individuality.
    So really there are no parameters, not sure why I'd need a password to something that doesn't really belong to me. Unless, she asked me to go in there for a particular reason (for her benefit), it would be the same as asking a stranger for private information - pointless.

    -M-
    www.redglitterandglue.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that two people in a relationship should be able to respectfully have their own space/privacy when in a relationship. When this cannot happen, someone is jealous,that's the bottom line. Now in this type of relationship if passwords aren't shared, there will be problems. My lady and I don't really have any privacy boundaries, we share almost everything which Is fine with me but if we didn't it still would be ok with me. I'm not the jealous type nor am I insecure. Good blog ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the idea of personal space...and it's wonderful that the two of you have discussed it...evidence is clear that trust, truth, forwardness, honesty and forthrightness have been made foundational..with those things clearly established and setforth, complete confidence and peace reign...in the cases where trust has been breached...one may have to be willing to offer some assurances to restore trust...in cases of complete faith and trust...not even a trip to the Facebook pages is necessry...lol...unless of course you were invited... This is my humble opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic! Honestly, the subject of privacy has never been a topic of discussion for us. It's never been an issue. I guess this matter just sort of fell into the right place. Neither of us keep journals. We don't lock our cell phones, blackberries, etc. I've never been tempted in the least to read my girl's text messages when she's not looking. I'm not sure if she's ever read mine, but she's certainly free to do so. We do have each other's FB passwords, but that only came about out of necessity at a particular time as you mentioned in the blog. My bottom line is that at this stage in the game, I have zero tolerance for anyone I don't trust whether it be a friend, lover, family member, etc. When it comes to my partner, she has the password to my heart and soul.:)

    ReplyDelete