Sunday, January 16, 2011

Change me...or accept me as I am~

So you love the way she styles her hair, but you wish she would change the color up a little bit. Maybe you admire her style of dress, but you kind of hope she would show more cleavage. Perhaps she has an “unladylike” habit of cracking her knuckles, or a loud laugh you’d like her soften. Whatever your preference may be, you want her to catch on to the subtle suggestions and innuendos you casually throw out to alter the “issue” at hand.
It seems we often enter relationships with the intention to change the person we’ve united with rather than accept her exactly as the person she is.  Or, if we didn’t start with a hidden agenda, it’s interesting how simple insignificant items that “didn’t matter” before commitment can sometimes become that mountain from a molehill when too much energy is put on what we may not like versus focusing on all the positives we do enjoy.
I remember late 2009 Brandy and I spent a weekend in Chicago just after we officially entered a romantic relationship. After an evening out we returned to our room and prepared for bed. And that’s when Brandy put on some of the brightest, striped/plaid-combo pajama bottoms I’ve ever seen.  This wasn’t the first time I had witnessed her choice in bedtime attire; as friends we had traveled together and spent many evenings sleeping in the same room. Oddly though, it was that 2009 night that I first “noticed” those rainbow-colored pajamas.  My thought was, I know she’s not about wear those to bed with me. J So I teased her because I couldn’t help it; cute, though they weren’t my particular choice of nighttime clothing. What I quickly realized was it didn’t matter what Brandy wore to bed as long as she was being true to herself.  Surely I can’t tell her what to wear and further, why would I expect her not to wear her comfy bottoms with me?  (side note: it didn’t take long for me to learn that Brandy has a variety of delightful items she wears to bed so it’s all good ;-))
Now, I do believe there’s a fine line between trying to change our partner to/for our own liking versus making suggestions for what we may think is our partner’s betterment. Example: Let’s say you meet a woman who smokes cigarettes. After you enter a relationship with her, you then request that she stop smoking because you don’t care for the smell. My guess would be that you knew what cigarette smoke smelled like to begin with, yet, still opted to pursue commitment. Surely you can’t expect to change her smoking habit when you already knew she smoked from the start. It's this kind of attempt to change the ways of another that causes frustration and damage within a relationship. Still, on the other hand, if you were to sincerely become concerned about your partner’s health due to smoking, by all means, communicate your feelings and talk about it.
On a lighter side, while we may always have certain preferential “likes” about our partner, we are never to discount her aside from them. My sweet B loves when I wear green eyeliner. But that doesn’t stop me from wearing purple, blue, brown, black or none at all. I know that no matter what, when she looks into my eyes, she loves me the same each and every time whether I’m wearing her favorite or not. She grants me the freedom to experiment and to be me at all times.
Overall, I enjoy that Brandy recommends new ideas I may not have considered before, and that I open new doors for her as well. But do we try to mold one another into anything other than who we are? No, we don’t. Our relationship is and will remain about growth. Of course with that growth there will be individual changes and changes together along the way.  No person and no relationship remains stagnant (at least I hope not!). Changes will arise, whether we love, like, or groan a bit about whatever those changes may be. What we have to remember and continue is to be respectful of all aspects of the other no matter what, just as we are today.
©Nikki Rashan, January 2011

5 comments:

  1. Keep these blogs coming.. I am really enjoying them. Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming into a relationship with the intent to change someone always leads to disaster. However, if the change is something that would better your partner spiritual, emotionally, financially, and physically, etc, than that partner should be receptive to listen. For example, I had a bad habit of wanting to be "liked" by my "friends", even to my own discomfort. She saw this quality in me and quietly told me that true friends will like you regardless of your faults and what you would and would not do for them. True friends will accept you for all of you and not on conditions. Being receptive to what she said allowed me to end a very long friendship with a person that I thought was a "friend". I had to realize her friendship with me stopped when I started living my life for me and began living the person I am, a strong Black Lesbian. This was just one thing I felt was I needed to change about me and it was nice that I was able to listen to my babe who only wants to the best for me. I still WON"T wear those freakin THONGS she wants me to wear to bed! OMG! That's a change that won't happen! BOXERS!!!! Nikki, I'm glad you can accept your B wearing the loud stripped pj bottoms. Afterall, I"m sure you have fun shedding those things when you have too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent post...people will grow and relationships will change...because change is inevitable...but how you adjust to the change will either make or break any relation-ship...but TRYING TO CHANGE SOMEONE...will destroy a relationship...

    However, there have been those whose vocabulary is seasoned with lots of colorful words...lmao)...and they have been embarassed by their own words without me ever saying a word, or giving a look, nor making any sound whatsoever...I'm a firm believer...

    YOU DO YOU...

    But, if someone by being around you, sees something about themselves they'd like to change, is that "good" or is that "bad"?

    I am greatful for growth and knowledge...in myself particularly ~ and I would hope the one that i'm in relationship with would be willing to share...but in love...and ever so gently...kindness goes a long way...and tears down a lot of walls and barriers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Stephanie for her flaws and all.....while getting to know a person..you encounter the good and bad and at the time you have a choice...do i stay and overlook the flaws or do I bounce and find someone without those flaws....if you stay..that means you accepted that person for who they are...after all, isn't it the differences thats makes a relationship..finding the ying to your yang????

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post. Kudos to the both of you for intelligent, thoughtful writing that offers great perspective.

    ReplyDelete