Saturday, January 1, 2011

Now or Later? What's your approach?

Nikki:  “Don’t rush me, I’m waiting for the last minute” - Recently I saw this quote on a refrigerator magnet and I had to laugh out loud. If this isn’t one of my silent mottos, I don’t know what is. Not to say I’m proud of my talent in the art of procrastination, but it is a quality I’ve acknowledged, accepted, and have embraced as a part of me. Give me a deadline and sure, I’ll meet it. It very likely will be right at the last few ticks on the clock, however. It’s an old stereotype but yes, I’m one of those people that works best under pressure. When I’m “forced” to do something, I do it. Until then, well… I’ll get back to you on that.
I’m not sure B knew the severity of my procrastination until the last couple of years. There have been quite a few scenarios that I’m sure left her questioning my delayed ways, but one that sticks out is when we were coordinating a party last March. She’d periodically ask me where I was with certain aspects of the planning and putting things together. While I had certainly started the process, in my eyes, there was plenty of time until the actual day of the party to get things done.  What was the rush? That was my perspective though. See, my sweet B is not one to waste time. Give her a task, a mission, or an idea and she’s right on it. If it means enough to her, there isn’t the slightest hesitation to move forward. She’s on it almost before we’ve finished the conversation (I know this because we’ll be on the phone talking and she will have looked something up on the internet and have an answer for me before I’ve even asked the question).
I admire this quality in B. Sometimes I wish I had the “on top of things” attitude that she does. If we have a conversation about a topic that needs to be handled and dealt with, I know without a doubt that if I follow-up with her in a day or two, she will have completed whatever needed to be done. Or at least started the process with the next steps all lined up. It’s an amazing characteristic of hers that I love.
While we may differ in the manner in which we approach our “to-do” lists, our styles are quite complementary. There has been a time or two when B appreciated my “slow down, breathe for a second already” style and there have certainly been occasions when I had to thank her for scooting me off my behind to get something done.  It all comes down to appreciating differences, recognizing their benefits, and learning how to make those differences work together. J
Brandy:  “Ms. On It” is what I’ve been labeled.  As much as I’ve tried to deny the accusation, I must say that I am guilty as charged.   Seemingly there is an “URGENT” sticker as I learn what’s needed, what has to be done and what’s wanted.  My being will not allow me to just sit on something before tackling it.  My meticulousness isn’t for acknowledgement or praise; rather I see it as keeping my plate clean. J  The thought of playing that ‘last minute’ game doesn’t sit well with me.  I like to prepare and map out directions/ instructions and give myself enough time to correct unforeseen problems.   Today, right now, this moment is my deadline. 
Then there’s my wonderful love, Nikki.  Oh how I’ve watched her string along and handle things in her time but on time.  My insides want to explode as she puts things on the back burner until right before it’s due.  I want badly to hurry her along but no, I sit back and respect her way of managing time.  I can recall watching her from the sofa mosey through the house getting ready for work.  I was laying there in and out of consciousness for about an hour or so as Nik paraded back and forth.  So periodically I’d look up and she’s sitting in the chair applying her makeup, checking her email while wrapped in a towel.  I check the clock and its 6:15am.  I’m like okay, she has 30 minutes to finish up.  Gracefully she moves with ZERO urgency so I chuckle to myself not saying a word figuring she doesn’t know the time.  She looks at me, and smiles… I smile back.  The clock now reads 6:30am and I know we have 15 minutes before we have to leave.  Her makeup is now on but still no clothes and her walk is like we’re sight-seeing at the park!  Never have I rushed her because I know she’s well aware of her time constraint.  I keep watching because now I’m amused.  I promise you, when the clock hit 6:45 a.m., my sweetness was ready with keys in hand WAITING FOR ME AT THE DOOR!  I was totally baffled! J
I can’t say procrastination is my choice of handling a to-do list, but I will say my Nik has taught me to take it easy, take my time, and take a moment to think it through before reacting.  I appreciate her delay.  Though she doesn’t jump right on it, she gets it done on time which is all that matters.  We have different approaches but the same outcome; success!  Two styles of reactions, but one style of loving… unconditional.

 
-Nikki Rashan, Brandy Nasha
©January, 2011

4 comments:

  1. This is a great blog. I can appreciate how you two understand and accept your differences....in such a loving way. In my relationship that's only 6 months old; its something that I'm starting to be more aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving this... thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can appreciate both sides of this!!...Lol...*big smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely like Brandy! I think all who knows me know that time on time is important to me. But I am slowly learning not to be so on time and not get anxious with others about what I believe is inconsideration of time....Im learning to enjoy the moment and not rush thru it being late is not the end of the world! ;)

    ReplyDelete