Tuesday, May 31, 2011

TEAMwork: Together Everything Amazes Me...

I almost let the month go by without posting a blog for May. Contrary to an earlier blog, this was not due to procrastination. J  I simply had a lot going on this month. There was work-work-work along with writing my next book, and then I closed out the month with a wonderful five-day stint in Atlanta. Busy times, but wonderful times…

I thought I’d take a quick moment to write about teamwork. We’ve all learned about teamwork on the job and heard or used the old adage, “There’s no ‘I’ in team.” Though I get along with most everyone and work well with others in a working environment, I most enjoy teamwork in my personal life at home. I love those days when my girls and I clean the house in an organized and cooperative manner: we each handle our assigned areas and get the job done. And yet still there are those other days when I just want to clean all by myself. I know the house will look the way I want it to with everything in its place the way I like. Frankly, it’ll get done my way.  I’m not controlling nor do I have a dominating personality. But what I am sometimes is obstinate and this isn’t necessarily the best quality to have the best relationship.

Recently I encountered a problem I needed to tackle and I tossed, turned and flip flopped over two nights trying to determine a reasonable solution. Initially I didn’t bring the issue to Brandy’s attention because I thought it would be yet another moment where I would appear lost and she’d have to find the answer. I was determined to figure it out myself! On the morning of day three when I was about to make my move on what I thought I should do, my insides didn’t feel right. My belly -that glorious intuition we all have that guides us - screamed at me that first, I was headed in the wrong direction and second, to share with Brandy so we could work together for a solution. So I did. And my entire body exhaled… I realized instantly that trying to do things “my way” only hinders our growth together.

The saying is true, there is no “I” on the N&B team.  There’s Nikki and Brandy with our own individual attributes that we bring together to openly solve any problem and accomplish any goal effectively. While I am certainly my own person with my own ideas, thoughts, and ways of handling people and circumstances, I am a better me when “we” put our heads and hearts together and work through a situation as one.
©Nikki Rashan, May 2011




1 comment:

  1. 100% agree with you. AO and I work as a solid team, and it's wonderful. We both know what we're best at, and we maximize on those strengths for the betterment of our team. We typically don't step on each other's toes, and I just love that.

    ReplyDelete