Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Moment of Silence: A Journey Back to His Love...

Years ago I turned my back on God. I was raised Baptist and attended a variety of churches growing up, including a family church in Chicago. Although I stopped attending church on Sundays when I was 20, I’d still attend periodically. I loved God and sought his guidance regularly even though I had become an Easter and Mother’s Day member. ;-) Around the age of 32 after about four years of being “out” I had grown weary of churches in which I was not welcome. I’d visit one church for a few weeks until the topic of homosexuality would come up so I’d leave and try another church only for it to happen again. I also became tired of Christians condemning me while I witnessed them commit their righteous sins, and yet mine remained “thee most abominable” of all. Mostly I was exhausted of praying for clarity and understanding of my life’s path when everyone around me spoke on God’s behalf and told me my path was wrong. (Let me be clear that when I say “me” I’m not necessarily speaking of just myself. While I certainly experienced my share of prayers and laying of hands to free me of sin, I’m speaking in a larger sense about the gay and lesbian community as a whole.)

To relieve myself of the guilt and stress, I left God behind and dared anyone to mention His name to me. I hadn’t become an atheist; my belief in a strength and power greater than me was too innate to deny. What I did was make a conscious choice to close my heart to Him. This allowed me to wag my finger at all lying, cheating, addicted, stealing, hypocritical “straight” Christians, and silently judge them the way they verbally judged me. I shut out all Bible-thumping church folks and surrounded myself with a small group of friends, both gay and straight, who loved me as me.

I soon entered a new spiritual path. I dove deeply into “The Secret” and read book after book about the law of attraction. I read up on Eastern traditions and studied a bit on Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. I meditated. I journaled. I wrote gratitude lists and chanted daily affirmations. All of these teachings and readings proved beneficial as these were some of the deepest growing years in my adulthood thus far. I released the resentment and judgment I felt toward those who condemned me and I learned to love and embrace everyone despite—despite their sexual orientation, despite their religious beliefs, and regardless of how they choose to live their own lives. I understood that while we’re all on our own paths and journeys, we’re all connected to The One Source.

Although I began to thrive with a fresh outlook on humankind, one piece remained missing. I still had yet to acknowledge Him again as the source from which we all come.

I recall talking to Brandy one day in late summer 2010 and telling her that developing a relationship with God just wasn’t on my priority list. I was no longer that pained, guilt-ridden woman of my early thirties who was struggling and seeking answers. I thought I had found them all in my studies. Brandy was silent. She didn’t agree with what I said or even acknowledge my words. But she didn’t scold me either. The quiet on the other end was all I needed to hear because in it I finally heard myself. My resistance to Him was still the fear of judgment I might receive from others. In that stillness I learned that regardless of any external voices I might hear, and beyond the love of my friends and even the love I uncovered for myself, He loves me greatest. He always has, even when I turned from Him, and He always will. From that moment forward my heart re-opened.

Now, all of this does not suggest that in the past year I’ve transformed into a church-going, Bible carrying, scripture quoting woman. That I am not. ;-) What I am is a woman who appreciates my journey. I still believe in the law of attraction and I still write my gratitude lists and repeat affirmations. I sincerely believe my spiritual understanding is broader than it ever would have been had I remained confined within the Baptist belief system. For me, I had to learn to love and accept myself without the outside pressure of organized religion deterring me from what I know is truth: He is love in all forms and I, along with every person and every thing, am a reflection of His love. He is love in the light seeping through the blinds each morning, in the sparkles of the sky each night, and He is love in the form of silence on the other end of a summer afternoon telephone call. I’m so glad I listened.

We'd love to hear about your spiritual journey if you're open to sharing...
© Nikki Rashan, December 2011

5 comments:

  1. Tears flow as I read this months post. All I will say is Amen and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This journey is all too familiar...I applaud and honor your courage by posting this. I look forward to the EVEN GREATER things that GOD has in store for you both.

    The silence on the other end of the phone, IN YOUR CONVO with your BELOVED, was indeed a reflection of HIS PATIENT LOVE...for it was HIS LOVE THAT REMAINED silent as the nails pierced HIS hands and feet...and HIS LOVE that will so willingly reveal itself if we would open up our hearts to who HE REALLY IS.

    I will continue to pray for BOTH of you and other's that I know are facing WORDLY OBSTACLES TO SEEING GOD...I'm both happy for and proud of you...My Joy Abounds as GOD PREPARES TO reveal HIMSELF to you in an even more intimate way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nikki...i cried too when I read this. I'm in the midst of relocating, working, and just wow..i had to stop what I was doing to respond to this...I;m not as well versed as you are, but I will give this a try. Many people probably won't even touch this blog and years ago, I have to admit, I may not have either. But as a child I...smile..well you understand. At 38, I'm a Tuskegee University graduate, an Eastern Star, a Delta, and a former youth minister and I'm also "gay" serving active duty for 13 years in the United States Army. I crack a lot of jokes. Humor is a large part of my essence not because things are funny but because laughter is the cure to pain and illness, much of which I've endured. I'm not welcomed because of what I AM, because I'm necessary because of what I have, my skillset. Perfecting crafts and being amongst the best wasn't an option, neither was being mediocre. When I was younger I was sooo serious about being successful, as if it were able to compensate for my sexuality. Not realizing that my ability to love and BE loved IS my success, and if I do what I love, success will come naturally. Because He loves me and Brandy loves you. There's triumph in that. Victory that all the Saints sing and smile about. And the sweetest songs are those shared in silence. I can't hear you unless I'm "listening". Melody is "singular" Harmony takes "two" and "shall I be lifted up, I shall draw all men".
    All in all I don't have a problem with spirituality, it's religion that rubs me with a scratch pad. Born and raised non denom=one way oneGod or the highway for 25 years i can't remember missing a Sunday at church. Both parents families were members. my closest friends..we grew up together. Now religion, "the process" "the order of things", seperates us, but love keeps us in contact. I know they love me and I love them. I blamed my career for years, but I know the truth. The silence at benediction. The question most are thinking...I smile and whisper "I'm ok, are you?"
    A lovers purpose is to bring you closer to your Father without standing in your path. You have no idea how timeless that gift really is Nikki. She's giving you Heaven on Earth and preparing you for a greater embrace. Don't you ever let that go. I applaud you for not being afraid to "answer" humble, quietly, and assertively. And I applaud Brandi, for knowing how to tread water.
    Nikki can I ask you to listen to a song called "One of Us" by Cheryl Pepsi Riley? Not a gospel, but food for thought...what would you call Him? I'd call Him...."LOVE" which is referred to as "HER" in Corinthians 13:5 (Charity and Love being one in the same in translation from the original Hebrew) Charity is to be giving, and to give is to be associated with Love, and being of Love is of God....all in translation? Brandi gave u love and THAT is where your God is..infinitively hidden in those perils os Silence. ( lol I told you I'm not as good at this as you..embarrassed) It's a rare moment where He is revealed and its timeless and undefinable. But between the two dimensions in which hHe lays, is undeniable. And I'm humbled, cause I see it. And of all my accomplishments and al my laughter, I'm stiffened humbly and gracefully to my knees at the thought of you two. Thank you Nikki, for the reminder of His strength and Presence in this Sinner's life of mine *smile*
    affectionately known as
    Lyrrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and formost thank you for writing "my" story or should i say my feelings. I too am making steps in my journey with God. Wanting to know Him and to lean on Him for everything in my life. What i am understanding is that "our" mind is a battlefield, and we need to work on that (renewing of our mind) everyday. May God continue to bless you both and remember he is with you both every step of the way... if we just listen.. (smile).

    "God doesn't expect me to understand. He just wants me to hold his hands" One of my notes on my phone....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up the daughter of a baptist pastor. Church and religion were VERY prevalent in my life growing up. As I got older and began to develop my own views and beliefs, I came to the conclusion that religion was nothing more than a means to control the masses. In my eyes, it was all a farce. The biggest hypocrites, liars and cheats I'd ever met were in the church. However, I never once doubted God. I still have a strong faith in God, and I do realize that God lives in me. My faith in God is what keeps me grounded and for that I am beyond grateful.

    ReplyDelete